Picture of Ray Carthew
i want/you want
by Ray Carthew - Monday, 16 May 2011, 07:34 PM
  i need someone to help me out with a question. my partner has confused me a little (she is greek and i am learning). i am up to learning various ways to ask for things and my language course has instructed me as follows...

i want - thelo
you want - thelete
i would like - tha ethela
you would like - tha thelate

my partner says that it is said "thelis" and "tha thelatis" respectively as the phrases ending "-te" are plural. is this correct??

also is could someone explain the difference between these phrases for me...

to eat - na fate/na fao
to drink - na peite/na pior
Picture of Greg Brush
Re: i want / you want
by Greg Brush - Tuesday, 17 May 2011, 11:59 AM
  1.) The phrases "thelete" (θέλετε) and "tha thelate" (θα θέλατε) use the 2nd person plural verbform and are used when speaking to more than one person or speaking to one person formally, that is, to someone that you don't know well. On the other hand, the phrases "thelis" (θέλεις) and "tha itheles" (θα ήθελες) use the 2nd person singular verbform and are used when speaking to an intimate -- a spouse, family member, close friend, a child, or a pet.

2.) Just as "thelo" and "thelete" represent different persons, so do "na fao" (να φάω) / "na fate" (να φάτε) and "na pio" (να πιω) / "na piite" (να πιείτε). That is, the first one of the pair is used for "I", while the second one is used for "you" when speaking to more than one person or speaking to one person formally. And just as you would use the informal "thelis" with your partner, not the formal "thelete", you would similarly use informal "na fas" (να φας) and "na piis" (να πιεις) with her, not formal "na fate" (να φάτε) and "na piite" (να πιείτε).

Regards,
Greg Brush