Picture of Blake More
Vocabulary items
by Blake More - Tuesday, 16 August 2011, 07:10 PM

Hello......... I am trying to read a short story by ΜΙΧΑΛΗΣ ΜΑΝΩΛΙΟΣ and I have run into this word which I cannot find in either of the two Greek/English dictionaries I own. I request that someone tell me what it means ........     κυβάκος.        Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Blake More

Picture of Guest User
Re: Vocabulary items
by Guest User - Tuesday, 16 August 2011, 08:43 PM
  I believe ενασ κυβος is a cube. Could be related, perhaps plural? smile
Picture of Blake More
by Blake More - Tuesday, 16 August 2011, 09:57 PM

J b, ........Thanks for your response but I need to go further, I think. Here is the sentence or sentences that contain the word in question:

Ο Ρολυ κρατάει στα χέρια του τον κυβάκο. Είναι ενας ωραίοσ κυβάκος με στρογγυλεμένες άκρεσ.

I sure hope this word is not something scandalous ... or taboo.

Blake More

Picture of Greg Brush
by Greg Brush - Wednesday, 17 August 2011, 10:44 AM
  -άκος is a suffix which forms diminutives from masculine nouns. Thus ο κυβάκος (< ο κύβος, cube) is some kind of small cube.

[From http://community.sff.gr/topic/11536-ο-κύβος-και-η-ζυγαριά]

Ο κύβος και η ζυγαριά
Ο Μιχάλης κρατάει στα χέρια του τον κυβάκο του. Είναι ένας ωραίος κύβος με στρογγυλεμένες άκρες....

The Cube and the Balance Scale
Michael holds his little cube in his hands. It is a pretty cube with rounded edges....

Here's an image of a similar shape, κυβάκος με στρογγυλεμένες άκρες:

κυβάκος

Hope this helps,
Greg Brush
Picture of Blake More
by Blake More - Wednesday, 17 August 2011, 01:04 PM

Greg Brush ...........I appreciate your answer to my query. I followed the link you sent, copied it, and read the first paragraph, and of course all this seved to increase my confusion and sharpen my interest. Let me ask, who are the people in this group? They seem to be rewriting other people's stories. But to what purpose? Just fun? The still primitive condition of my mastery of Greek does not allow me to profit fully, or even partly, from all this, but I will keep at it. Thanks again.               Blake More

Picture of Blake More
by Blake More - Saturday, 20 August 2011, 09:47 PM

As it turns our the story in the link provided above and the story I was (and still am) reading are not similar at all, except for their first sentences. In case anyone is interested, the story I was trying to read is called "ΣΟΚΟΛΑΤΑ" and it can be found in

Μακης Πανωριος, ΤΟ ΕΛΛΗΝΙΚΟ ΦΑΝΤΑΣΤΙΚΟ ΔΙΗΓΗΜΑ, ΑΙΟΛΟΣ, ΑΘΗΝΑ 2004

on p. 141. People who have completed a good part of LGO, or all of it, should find it manageable but not easy. I must get busy and finish it. I did manage to read the story in the link. It took me two days. Thanks, Greg.

Good wishes

Blake More