Picture of Laura Oliver
im new and confused :-(
by Laura Oliver - Thursday, 12 January 2012, 06:55 PM
  Hi everybody, ok so im English the only forgien language i know is Spanish probably the basics every one knows i.e hola,porfavor,gracias that is all the only Greek word i know is a swear word taught to me by a naughty waiter when i visited Greece one year ,i have been on about learning Greek for a few weeks but actually began today and i have learnt my alphabet i.e alpha beta gamma delta etc then double letters then i looked at reading Greek and i became confused i read that every letter is pronounced there is no silent letters so i went on a few examples and my brain is fried im so confused as every word is pronounced ok but for example. A / a which is alpha but sounds like the English baby way to say "A" so to say a"mom" in Greek is pronounced ma ma and using the letters (im sorry i don't have a Greek keyboard and am using my phone for this site sad ) mu, alpha ,mu ,alpha .and i just don't understand how to get my head around it sorry if I've confused anyone but im hoping some one can help me out mixed p.s sorry for the bad punctuation too xx
Picture of Franco Gardi
Re: im new and confused :-(
by Franco Gardi - Friday, 13 January 2012, 06:44 AM
  Hello Laura,i think this virtual keyboard can be very helpful:
http://gr.translit.cc/
Picture of Karin Petersen
by Karin Petersen - Monday, 23 January 2012, 09:48 AM

Hi Laura! You have to separate the NAME of the letters from the SOUND they make. I mean, you wouldn't pronounce your name "ell-ei-yu-arrr-ei" or mine "kei-ei-arr-ai-en" or something like that. wink The names of the letters is a handy thing to know, but it doesn't really tell you how to pronounce them. Take a look at this site:

www.xanthi.ilsp.gr/filog/ch1/alphabet/alphabet.asp

where they show you how to write the letters an also tell you  their names and how they sound when used in speaking.

Another very good site is:

www.theodorou.freeserve.co.uk/greekcyp/contents.htm

where you learn the letters, their sounds and some basic words and sentences. Don't forget to click the "Activity centre"-icon in the upper right corner. It gives you some nice games to help you learn Greek words. If you spend a few minutes a day, learning one or more letters, you will soon master them all. Good luck and have fun!

Karin

Picture of Patricia Brambley
by Patricia Brambley - Monday, 20 February 2012, 05:08 AM
  Good Morning!

I have found the second site Karin links to very helpful with learning the alphabet.

Good luck!
Picture of Jonathan Ridgway
by Jonathan Ridgway - Wednesday, 28 March 2012, 12:26 PM
  Hello Laura, are you living in Greece or learning from England?

You might find this site useful:

http://www.livemocha.com

It teaches you to listen, write, read and speak.

It takes a while to get used to Greek, so be patient.

John