Picture of Blake More
Reading problem
by Blake More - Friday, 4 May 2012, 09:32 PM

Παρακαλὠ.......θα ἠθελα να ζἠτησω ότι κἀποιος μου βοηθἠσει με τη μετἀφραση μἰας πρὀτασεις ἀπο ἐνος διἠγημα που διαβἀζω τὠρα. Η δικἠ μου μετἀφρασις (θὀλη) ακολουθεἰ.

Εντἀχει, τὠρα βρἠκαμε. Ασ την λοιπὀν στην τρἐλα τἠς, κι ὀπως της ἠρθε θα φὐγει. Κἀποια στιγμἠ θα βαρεθεἰ και θα με αδειἀσει τη γωνιἀ.

Ο.Κ., we agree. Then leave aside (ignore?) her craziness, and just as it came, it will go. Any minute now she'll get bored and (go) rest in a corner.

Thanks,

Blake More

Picture of Brenda P
Re: Reading problem
by Brenda P - Thursday, 6 December 2012, 11:19 PM

This is my take on it, as far as I could go:

Ok, now we found. Leave her, then, in her madness, and as it came it will go. At some time she’ll be bored and she will......??? θα με αδειάσει τη γωνιά....the "με" here confuses me. Also, to be "in a corner" I think it would have to be "στη γωνιά".

Sorry I couldn't be more help, Blake. Hopefully someone else will clear it up for us.

Brenda

Picture of Blake More
by Blake More - Thursday, 6 December 2012, 11:26 PM
  Thanks for this, Brenda. You may be opening my eyes to some things I hadn't considered but I will have to study what you wrote tomorrow. Had a long day. Thanks again. Good wishes. Blake More
Picture of Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets
by Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets - Friday, 7 December 2012, 05:49 AM
  Brenda was close. I think a good translation of the sentence is:

OK, we agree. Just leave her in her madness, as it's come it'll go. Any minute now she'll get bored and leave me alone.

The expression αδειάζω τη γωνιά (literally: "to empty the corner") is slang for "to leave, to get the hell out". Αδειάζω τη γωνιά σε κάποιον means "to leave someone alone, to get out of someone's hair". As slang expressions go, that's one that makes a lot of sense :P.

By the way, I'd have expected that part of the sentence to be θα μου αδειάσει τη γωνιά. Are you sure about the με?
Picture of Brenda P
by Brenda P - Friday, 7 December 2012, 06:16 PM
  Thanks for that, Christophe. I had a feeling the last part must be an expression of some kind but couldn't figure out what it could possibly be. And this is the first time I've come across βρίσκω meaning "agree". It's forums like this, and people like you, who make learning Greek a little less daunting! Much appreciated.
Picture of mickey mcadden
by mickey mcadden - Sunday, 30 December 2012, 01:00 PM
  βρίσκω ; verb meaning 'I find'. Lateral use for it could be ' I find -whatever you said or did- interesting/acceptable/ugly ...' and so on.

Picture of Blake More
by Blake More - Sunday, 30 December 2012, 03:03 PM

Mickey.............. Thanks for this. And I wonder if Χρόνια πολλά is properly used for for the New Year as well as other occasions. If so, Χρόνια πολλά!

Blake More

Picture of Blake More
by Blake More - Friday, 7 December 2012, 06:16 PM

No, I am not at all sure since it was     μ'     in the original.

Picture of Brenda P
by Brenda P - Friday, 7 December 2012, 07:08 PM

Blake, you might be interested in this link:

http://forum.wordreference.com Scroll down to "Other Language Forums" and click "Ελληνικά". You would have to register to post, but I think you can see what's already been posted, without registering, and there's an excellent dictionary at the top of the Greek page.

Picture of Blake More
by Blake More - Friday, 7 December 2012, 11:07 PM
  Thanks for this, Brenda.    Damn good.
Picture of Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets
by Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets - Monday, 10 December 2012, 04:20 AM
  Then it's understandable, as μ' can stand for both με and μου smile .