Picture of timothy II
Fluency
by timothy II - Tuesday, 12 June 2012, 01:11 PM
  Will i be fluent if i complete and learn all 105 lessons? is there enough there to make me fluent
Picture of Greg Brush
Re: Fluency
by Greg Brush - Wednesday, 13 June 2012, 11:39 AM
  By no stretch of the imagination is the Learn Greek Online (LGO) course itself going to make you fluent in Greek -- that would be impossible in virtually any online language course. Rather, the goal of LGO is to introduce students to the basics of the modern spoken language and hopefully provide the tools for them to make the next step and journey to Greece or Cyprus for a more in-depth immersion.

The reality is that, although it is possible to become fluent in a foreign language without ever having been in that country, you are unlikely to become fluent in Modern Greek without living for some time in Greece or Cyprus and having to actively speak the language daily. Alternatively, if you can find a Greek speaker where you live who would work with you in conversational Greek, you might be able to go a long way toward your goal.

But it is just not realistic to expect to become fluent in a language when you do not live for some extended amount of time in the place where that language is spoken, and where you daily have to make the effort to speak it yourself.

Regards,
Greg Brush