Picture of Victoria K
καιρός
by Victoria K - Monday, 8 October 2012, 11:45 AM
  Καλησπέρα,

I was reading the recipe «Κουνουπίδι στο φούρνο» from Συνταγές της Ασπρούλας, but I am confused about the structure of the following sentence.

Τα κουνουπίδια εμφανίστηκαν στους πάγκους της λαϊκής καιρός να τα απολαύσουμε.

The cauliflower appeared on market shelves... time to enjoy them.

In this sentence, is «καιρός» an adjective? And so would mean,

The cauliflower appeared on market shelves... a long time ago to enjoy them.

It appears to me that «καιρός» is a noun, because the adjective phrase would be, «εδώ και καιρό», or «πριν από καιρό».

Thanks for any help!!

Picture of Nick Savchenko
Re: καιρός
by Nick Savchenko - Monday, 8 October 2012, 01:21 PM
  I think there is a comma missing in this sentence, i.e. it should be

Τα κουνουπίδια εμφανίστηκαν στους πάγκους της λαϊκής, [είναι] καιρός να τα απολαύσουμε.

i.e. it's time to enjoy them.

In the explanatory dictionary there are similar examples of such usage:

http://www.greek-language.gr/greekLang/modern_greek/tools/lexica/triantafyllides/search.html?lq=%CE%BA%CE%B1%CE%B9%CF%81%CF%8C%CF%82&dq=

β. χρονική περίοδος που είναι κατάλληλη για κτ.: Είναι ~ να φύγουμε / να αποφασίσεις για το μέλλον σου.

Picture of Blake More
Re: καιρός
by Blake More - Monday, 8 October 2012, 07:34 PM

Victoria .......  I think Nick's answer to your query is correct. But I wonder if your choice of "shelves" for πάγκους is the best possible one. The word λαικής is feminine, genitive, singular and probably qualifies the omitted αγοράς. So you might want to go with "stands" or "stalls" because the whole thing refers to what is out in the street markets.

If you think about this and discover that I am mistaken here, please do let me know.

Good wishes,

Blake More