Picture of Alex Campbell
A little advice please
by Alex Campbell - Tuesday, 20 November 2012, 09:29 PM
  Καλησπέρα!

Τα Ελληνικά είναι η δεύτερη μου γλώσσα, αλλά λυπάμαι να πω ότι τώρα πια έχω χάσι πολλά από αυτά που κάποτε ήξερα. Θέλω να αλλάξω τι κατάσταση. Ξέρω πως πρέπει να δουλέψω σε κάθε όψη-- ορθογραφία (αυτά που βλέπεται εδώ είναι το spell check), γραμματική, ιδιωματικά Ελληνικά, κτλ... Αλλά νομίζω ότι το κηρίο πράγμα πρέπει να είναι το λεξιλόγιο μου, που είναι σχετικά μικρό σε σύγκριση με άτομο που έχει Ελληνικά για μητρική του γλώσσα.

Λοιπόν! θέλω ιδέες, παρακαλώ! Ποιο είναι η καλύτερη τρόποι να αυξάνω το λεξιλόγιο μου;

Ευχαριστώ!
Picture of Blake More
Re: A little advice please
by Blake More - Wednesday, 21 November 2012, 01:16 AM

I would give anything in the world to be able to comply with your wish for good advice, but you are apparently a lot better off in Greek studies than I. I am struggling along, though, and I have already read about ten or twelve short stories, which might be a good activity for your project of vocabulary enrichment. Also, you might listen to satellite radio from Greece. SKAI and REAL are good stations and I think they are helping me. Good wishes.

Blake More

Picture of Alex Campbell
by Alex Campbell - Wednesday, 21 November 2012, 11:08 AM
  Κρίμα! No magic solution.

So maybe I should share one thing I've tried. I read Greek translations of books I have already read in English. The goal being to improving reading speed without focusing too much on understanding every single sentence. Knowing the plot already helps both in comprehension and figuring out what unknown words mean.

There're plenty of translations out there. Right now I'm on the third book of Philip Pullman's trilogy.

Other things I'm considering are flashcards. I use the Memrise website a bit. The problem it has is that in the later phases you need to be able to spell well to make rapid progress. Their system fails to teach spelling as well as it does vocabulary.

ΣΚΑΙ and ΕΡΤ now stream television outside of Greece, which is nice. ΑΝΤ1 also stream but you need to be within Greece or have a Greek VPN.

Picture of Blake More
by Blake More - Thursday, 29 November 2012, 04:19 PM
  Yes ..........  flashcards .........good idea