Me on holidays
«τάθηκα» and «τεταμένος»
by Irene Droppert - Thursday, 24 January 2013, 07:17 AM
  Hello,

Maybe someone can help me out with the following:

I am busy with the verb «τείνω» which has no passive forms, according to the verb-dictionarry of Anna Iordanidou, but still I stumbled upon some passive forms
as «τάθηκα» and «τεταμένος» at
http://www.greek-language.gr/greekLang/modern_greek/

Is there a passive form?
Could it be that only some passive forms are in use?
Are the forms out of date or seldom used?

Thanks in advance for your help
Irene
Picture of Nick Savchenko
Re: «τάθηκα» and «τεταμένος»
by Nick Savchenko - Thursday, 24 January 2013, 02:10 PM
  Τάθηκα is passive aorist, τεταμένος is passive perfect participle. Both forms are used, but have slightly different meaning and usage rules.

First of all, perfect and aorist are different grammar tenses. For details, see discussion at this forum called "greek perfect tenses".

Second, participle is used as adjective, but has "verbish" meaning, for example, τεταμένο τόξο.
Picture of Greg Brush
by Greg Brush - Thursday, 24 January 2013, 05:27 PM
  The ancient/classical passive simple past of τείνω was τάθηκα. Passive τάθηκα itself is still occasionally used in the modern language, but nowadays τάθηκα is largely heard and seen in derived prefixed verbs such as εκτείνω (εκτάθηκε - was extended / extended itself), επεκτείνω (επεκτάθκε - was spread / spread itself), εντείνω (εντάθηκε - was intensified), and παρατείνω (παρατάθηκε - was prolonged).

For several examples of the use of prefixed -τάθηκα in the contemporary language, see the "-a little more-" portion of "FYI: middle voice" in Discussion Forum 96.

The past passive participle τεταμένος (tense, strained) continues to be used in the modern language as an adjective.

Regards,
Greg Brush
Picture of Nick Savchenko
by Nick Savchenko - Thursday, 24 January 2013, 05:33 PM
  Are you sure that the ancient form is τάθηκα? I thought that passive aorist form ending with -κα are demotic forms, and the ancient form was ετάθην.
Picture of Greg Brush
by Greg Brush - Thursday, 24 January 2013, 06:37 PM
  Oops!, sorry, you're quite right. The ancient (katharevousa) form was indeed ετάθην, while τάθηκα is the demoticized equivalent.

Thanks for the correction,
Greg Brush