Picture of Brenda P
κινώ and μετακινώ
by Brenda P - Thursday, 25 April 2013, 11:00 AM
  Could someone please explain the difference between κινώ and μετακινώ? Also the difference between κινούμαι and μετακινούμαι? How does the prefix μετα change these verbs?
Picture of Nick Savchenko
Re: κινώ and μετακινώ
by Nick Savchenko - Thursday, 25 April 2013, 11:56 AM
  Hi.

κινώ is general verb for moving something, μετακινώ has more specific meaning - "to change place of smth.", "to relocate". Both this verbs can be translated with the English verb "move".

As for passive verb difference is the same. μετακινούμαι most likely means "I'm moving from one specific place to another specific place". It can be used to express emigration to another country or city, for example.
Picture of Brenda P
by Brenda P - Thursday, 25 April 2013, 02:26 PM
  Thanks for your help, Nick!smile
Picture of Greg Brush
by Greg Brush - Monday, 29 April 2013, 12:22 PM
  As Nick explains, κινώ is a transitive* verb expressing general movement or motion (i.e., I move something), where the middle/passive κινούμαι means "i move myself" or "I go somewhere".

μετακινώ means "I transport" (something), while middle/passive μετκινούμαι means "I commute" or "I migrate".

μετά itself is an ancient preposition which means "with" or sometimes "after". Just as in English, prepositions in Greek can also function as verbal prefixes, producing differing shades of meaning or adding emphasis to the base verb. In your example above, prefix μετα- adds the sense of "with" to the base verb κινώ.

Regards,
Greg Brush

*transitive verbs are those which can take, or even conceptually require, a direct object. In Greek, the direct object is always in the accusative case. In contrast, intransitive verbs do not or cannot take a direct object.
Picture of Brenda P
by Brenda P - Monday, 29 April 2013, 12:47 PM
  Thanks so much, Greg. I think I've got a handle on it nowsmile