Just my Logo
Lesson 7
by John Fautley - Wednesday, 25 September 2013, 05:57 AM

Hi Folks. Could someone please explain to me something regarding Lesson 7. When Ellie explains she has one head two eyes etc, what does the Να τα. and Να το. mean between each of her statements please? The text in question below in italics :

E. Έχω ένα κεφάλι. Να το. Έχω δύο μάτια. Να τα. Έχω ένα πρόσωπο. Να το. Έχω δύο χέρια και δύο πόδια. Έχω δέκα δάχτυλα στα χέρια.

Thank you

John

Picture of Nick Savchenko
Re: Lesson 7
by Nick Savchenko - Wednesday, 25 September 2013, 07:33 AM
  να is introduced in Lesson 5:

You may have noticed also that when Andreas walked into the studio, I used the phrase Να ο Αντρέας. The little word να is usually accompanied by a movement of the hand or the eye pointing to an object or person. It means here or there somebody or something is. Να ο Αντρέας, there is Andreas.
Just my Logo
by John Fautley - Wednesday, 25 September 2013, 11:53 AM

Thank you Nick. I did notice the Na ta in Lesson 5 of course, but I couldn't see how it fitted here in Elli's statements. Would I be correct in thinking then that

Να το. Έχω δύο μάτια. Means - Here is, I have two eyes? Or, there is I have two eyes.?

Seems a little strange.

Thanks for answering my post. Much appreciated.

John

Picture of Nick Savchenko
by Nick Savchenko - Wednesday, 25 September 2013, 01:09 PM
  She's saying something like "I have two eyes, here they are". She also would point to her eyes with her hand. Notice, that she says "Έχω ένα κεφάλι, να το", and "Έχω δύο μάτια, να τα". τα is plural article, thus να τα is translated as "here they are", while "να το" is translated as "here it is".
Just my Logo
by John Fautley - Thursday, 26 September 2013, 04:41 AM

Excellent. I understand the order now. Thanks very much Nick for your time and patience.

John