Picture of Simon Ellis
How many current users of the site
by Simon Ellis - Monday, 28 April 2014, 08:25 AM

Hello

I've been learning Greek for a year now and have found this site incredibly useful. Looking at the various discussion forums I notice that activity ie active users seems to wax and wane. I'm curious how many people are currently using the site and where they reside (I'm from Berkshire in England). Is this infor available on the site?

Rgds

Simon

Picture of Karin Petersen
Re: How many current users of the site
by Karin Petersen - Wednesday, 30 April 2014, 07:00 AM
  I'm still here, on and off. wink A lot of people start this course and have a lot of questions to begin with, but not many continue into the more advanced stages. It's the same if you take courses "off-line". I've taken the 5th semester of Greek at the People's University four times now in the hope that enough participants will want to continue the course to the next semester, but no... As soon as the grammar starts to get more complicated, people start leaving. It's a pity, but that's the way life is, I guess. Anyway, hang in there, it will make such a great difference when you're in Greece!

Regards,
Karin
Stockholm, Sweden.
Picture of Brenda P
by Brenda P - Wednesday, 30 April 2014, 08:13 AM
  I'm still here. I completed the course a few years ago and went on to study more with other methods. I now own a house in Greece and travel there regularly, and thanks to the good foundation this course gave me I'm now able to communicate fairly well over there. A big thank you to Greg Brush, and the others who have helped me so much. It's good to know that I can still come back whenever I have a language related question.

Brenda P
Ontario, Canada
Picture of Simon Ellis
by Simon Ellis - Wednesday, 30 April 2014, 09:04 AM
  Thanks for the replies. I've had a Greek tutor for the last year and she's a real stickler for the grammar. So I'm hoping that won't be a problem. Actually I started this course because I felt that whilst I was OK on the grammar my vocabulory was weak and conversation skills non existent. Something that has also helped is watching Greek tv and films on eg youtube such as To Kafe Tis Xaras.
Picture of Blake More
by Blake More - Thursday, 1 May 2014, 09:38 PM

Mr. Ellis ...........You seem to be doing well. Let me recommend listening toThe radio stations SKAI and REAL from Athens for a few hours each day. I do it in the morning but I live in the Americas so the best time for you may be different. Also, please let me know of anything you find particularly helpful. My weaker áreas seem to be the same as yours. Vocabuary and conversation skills.

Good wishes

Blake More

Picture of Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets
by Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets - Friday, 2 May 2014, 05:07 AM
  I'm still around as well, checking the General Language Questions once in a while to answer any question I feel I can answer. I finished the course 7 years ago, as well as the HAU podcasts (although I relisten to them regularly to brush up on my grammar skills).
I still don't use Greek often enough so my conversational skills are rather poor, although I've been told by native speakers that my pronunciation and grammar are top notch big grin. My main issue is my inability to retain the vocabulary I learn, due to lack of use.
That said, recently I've discovered Memrise and I think it's making a difference smile. In any case, it seems to help with keeping the vocabulary one learns alive in one's memory. In a month I'll be visiting Corfu again and I will check if it helped with my conversation skills wink.
As for my location, I live in the Netherlands.
Picture of Simon Ellis
by Simon Ellis - Friday, 2 May 2014, 10:01 AM
  Another thing I've found helpful is a cartoon called Martha Speaks on youtube. Its about a labrador that eats alphabet spagetti and magically learns to speak. I think it's semi educational in teaching young kids about English but is quite fun. Its been dubbed into Greek as Martha Milaei.
Picture of Kathleen Vermosen
by Kathleen Vermosen - Friday, 9 May 2014, 01:15 AM
  Hallo Christophe,

Dank je voor de Memrise tip. Ik checkte onmiddellijk in.. alle beetjes helpen.Ook hier het probleem dat de woorden steeds uit mijn geheugen verdwijnen. Er is dan ook taalkundig geen enkele houvast. Eens Heb je de ganse cursus kunnen doorlopen? 'k Ben zeer beginnende leerling-les 25 sad maar wél enthousiast
een leuke Kerkira trip gewenst!
Kathleen
Picture of Uwe Schürkamp
by Uwe Schürkamp - Friday, 23 February 2018, 09:00 AM
  Just started the course here after many moons of trying to improve my Greek using the Michel Thomas courses and duolingo.

We've been to Crete around a dozen times now over the last 20 years, and boy, their local dialect varies from village to village. I jokingly state that for me, greek is a "speak only" language as I'm having a hard time understanding those blazingly fast replies wink

All the best from Germany & thanks for running this site!

Uwe
Picture of Blake More
by Blake More - Saturday, 3 May 2014, 01:18 PM

To Simon Ellis

Thanks a million for mentioning Martha the talking dog. I went to those Youtube pages and found her and she is wonderful. Thanks.

Blake More