Picture of Blake More
vocabulary
by Blake More - Tuesday, 29 July 2014, 01:53 PM

Hello...

I have been hearing words like αληθεινόρα and αληθεινόροι (on the radio, if my spelling is wrong, please excuse it). The first part of each one seems to correspond to truth but I cannot figure out the second part. Please help.

Blake More

Picture of Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets
Re: vocabulary
by Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets - Monday, 4 August 2014, 04:16 AM
  I think you may have an issue with recognising word boundaries here. Clearly those words you're hearing are not words, but noun phrases that start with the adjective αληθινός/ή/ό: "true". When the following noun starts with an accented vowel, the ending of the adjective can get slurred with it, especially in fast speech, making it sound like a single word.
As for what the second part could be, I have no idea, given what you're giving us. Are you sure you have the full phrase? Maybe the next syllables (that you're not sharing with us here) belong to the noun too. An example of a phrase I would expect to hear on the radio, for instance, is αληθινό όραμα: "true vision", and in fast speech it will sound like "αληθινόραμα". It might be one of the words you're hearing, but it might not be. Difficult to say with the data you're giving us.
Picture of Blake More
by Blake More - Monday, 4 August 2014, 12:44 PM

Esteemed Christoffe,

As I invariably do upon receiving a communication from you, I feel properly scolded and thoroughly deficient.

The phrase in question is the last part of an ad for Vodafone and it goes

το αληθινόρα τηλέφονο.

Or some such. And yes you are right, the aural comprehension dimension of language learning has presented me with what you call issues.

Picture of Nick Savchenko
by Nick Savchenko - Monday, 4 August 2014, 01:33 PM
  Blake, if you are asking about a Vodafone ad I suggest you to try to search it on youtube, for example a query "vodafone greece" gives ton of vodafone ads in greek. If you find your mysterious phrase there you can share the link and maybe somebody will be able to decipher it.
Picture of Blake More
by Blake More - Tuesday, 5 August 2014, 12:31 PM
  Thanks, Nick, for what seems to be a helpful suggestion. I shall follow up on it after my second cup of coffee.
Picture of Blake More
by Blake More - Friday, 26 September 2014, 01:47 PM

As it turns out the words in question do not occur in a Vodaphone ad but in an ad for REAL-FM (Athens) and what it says is

το αληθινό ραδιόφωνο (the truthful radio station).

And it does not say, as I thought it did,

το αληθινόρα τηλεφονο.

You live and learn, dontcha? And you also apologize for any erros of orthography or suprasegmentalization there maybe in the present message.

Good wishes,

Blake More

Picture of Greg Brush
by Greg Brush - Thursday, 11 February 2016, 02:49 AM
  Yes, in this context αληθινό is the Greek equivalent/translation of "real", as in:
REAL FM 97.8, owned and operated by ΑΛΗΘΙΝΟ ΡΑΔΙΟΦΩΝΟ ΑΕ (Real Radio, Inc.), where AE (more formally spelled A.E.) is the standard Greek abbreviation for η Ανώνυμη Εταιρεία, Corporation.

Here are the Spanish, Portuguese, French, and Italian equivalents of a Greek AE:
SA = Sociedad Anónima (español), Sociedade Anônima, (português), Société Anonyme (français)
SpA = Società pela Anonima (italiano)

By the way, the /o/ sound of root -φων- is spelled with ω (omega):
το τηλέφωνο (L3), το ραδιόφωνο (L3), το μικρόφωνο (L11), τo γραμμόφωνο (L14), η φωνή (L23), τηλεφωνώ (L49), συμφωνώ (L60), το τηλεφώνημα (L67), φωνάζω (L75), η συμφωνία (L82), and so forth.

Regards,
Greg Brush

[originally posted Saturday, 27 September 2014, 11:35 PM]
Picture of Blake More
by Blake More - Sunday, 28 September 2014, 01:39 PM

This is directed to Greg Brush...

Please accept my thanks for your kind and (as usual) informative response to my query.

Good wishes

Blake More