Picture of -  haskakis
Meaning of my surname
by - haskakis - Sunday, 7 June 2015, 11:30 AM
  Hi!
My name is Helen and I'm greek. But I've lived my whole life in sweden without any contact with my greek family.
I am curious about my heritage, and I want to learn to speek greek. I wonder about the origin of my last name Haskakis. Or χασκακησ (as I understand the greek spelling to be?)

I've learned that -akis means "son of" or "small" but I cant find anything about the origin of my whole name, and I would be so grateful for your help.
Thank you!
Picture of Vassily Tchalidy
Re: Meaning of my surname
by Vassily Tchalidy - Sunday, 13 September 2015, 12:45 PM
  Hey, what a coincidence! I lived in Sweden for 16 years (Gothemburg, Helsingborg, and for short periods in Stockholm). My family came from the Greek colonies in Turkey (Constantinople), but had to flee the country for religious persecutions.

My surname is Tsalidis, written "Tchalidy" in Latin letters, as I understand this was necessary to pronounce the name as "TS" for a Turkish speaking citizen.

I obtained the information from my aunt when she was alive that the "-is" ending of surnames indicates an origin from "The City", as they called Constantinople (now Istanbul).

Thus, possibly "Haskakis" has its origin in the Greek colonies in Turkey.
Picture of Argyrios Poungouras
Re: Meaning of my surname
by Argyrios Poungouras - Sunday, 20 September 2015, 12:54 PM
  I can't say what your surname really means; the only thing I can tell you is that it is probably of Cretan origin (from the island of Crete), since -akis is a common Cretan surname conclusion. smile