Picture of Brenda P
μαθαίνω / μελετώ
by Brenda P - Thursday, 19 April 2018, 10:46 AM
  Could someone please explain the difference between these two words for "study"... particularly in the case of someone who is studying Greek informally for the purpose of communicating better with in-laws?
Picture of Greg Brush
Re: μαθαίνω / μελετώ
by Greg Brush - Tuesday, 17 July 2018, 12:26 PM
  - English "I study" -

μαθαίνω (L25) means "learn", often in the context of school or academic study. It is also used in the sense of "teach" someone (how to do something):
Μαθαίνω ελληνικά στο Ινστιτούτο Ξένων Γλωσσών. = I'm learning ["studying"] Greek at the Institute of Foreign Languages.
Μαθαίνω στη Μπρέντα να μαγειρέψει σουβλάκια. = I'm teaching Brenda how to cook souvlaki.

μελετώ/-άω (L64) means "study" in the sense of "examine", "investigate", "look deeply into (something)". For example, an investigative body μελετάει what caused an accident; the police μελετάει whether a crime has been committed and who may be responsible; the government μελετάει an incident that concerns national security or foreign policy:
Το πυροσβεστικό μελετά τις αιτίες της φωτιάς. = The Fire Department is investigating ["studying"] the cause of the fire.

Hope this helps,
Greg Brush

[originally posted Thursday, 26 April 2018, 09:07 AM]
Picture of Brenda P
by Brenda P - Thursday, 26 April 2018, 01:17 PM
  As always, Greg, thanks so much for your help through the years.
Picture of Greg Brush
by Greg Brush - Wednesday, 4 July 2018, 08:55 PM
  By the way, μελετώ has the frequently used noun η μελέτη, study, as in μια πολύ ενδιαφέρουσα μελέτη, a very interesting study; πολλές μελέτες δείχνουν πως/ότι..., many studies show that....

Regards,
Greg Brush
Picture of Brenda P
by Brenda P - Wednesday, 4 July 2018, 10:13 PM
  Thanks so much, Greg for that additional information!